Friday, September 5, 2014

Library Card Sign-up Month

September is Library Card Sign-up Month. Yesterday, the ASLC blog had a great post about how to work with schools to get more kids signed up for library cards. The ideas can be used anytime of the year.

Spring is a great time with summer around the corner and kids not having access to school libraries. In May and June, all first grade classes from the three elementary schools visit my library for a tour and stories. Weeks before the visit, the teachers pass out library card applications and return completed ones to me. When the classes visit, the kids get their new library cards.

Storytime at my library draws a young crowd (mostly 3s) who are fun. I love when the first graders visit because I can do longer stories with more sophisticated humor. My current favorite is Big Bad Bubble by Adam Rubin and Daniel Salmieri.

No comments: